Wednesday 16 September 2009

What We Do In Lieu Of Actual Life

Lyndsey Bergman. Lyndsey Bergman was not my friend. Lyndsey Bergman was my rival. When Id sprained my ankle attempting to walk in a pair of 7 inch Kurt Geiger platforms, shed broken hers in 4 places whilst dancing on a table in a pair of fucking Vivienne Westwoods.

To The Clash, no fucking less.

When Id finally had a song played on Radio 1 (at 1:46am on a Sunday morning), shed had a poem of hers used as lyrics by an up and coming hipster band who managed to knock a jailbait faux-lesbian off the number one spot in a matter of days.

When I released my first magazine (self-funded, self-penned, effortlessly cool, effortlessly glamorous), she had a collection of self-portraits displayed in the most celebrated and underground of art galleries, followed by a self-published magaizne in which she cleverly critiqued and tore apart her own work under the pseudonyms of anagrams of her fucking name. The scene kids lapped it up.

When I was dumped by a boy, shed always go out with them not too long afterwards. And shed always dump them.

When she threw her chewing gum on the floor, Id always be the one to walk in it.

Last week, I stole the bitches glasses.

I dont need them. If theres one thing I have over that superlative bitch, its that I have amazing fucking eyesight. And yes, I suppose that by wearing these, I am in some way destroying my own vision - therefore ridding myself of the one crappy advantage I have over her. But I dont care - because somewhere out there Lyndsey Bergman is probably licking the gums out of an incredibly ugly boy because shes too blind to know better.

I think I suit them. Bit of Clark Kent about me. That is to say that bespectacled Lyndsey Bergman is weedy, over-achieving, dull old Clark Kent and I am the mysterious, God-sent, man of steel and enigmatic, Superman.

Im pondering this over salad. Digging the fork into a spewing tomato. All the pips and substance slushing out periously, like a spawn of eggs. Gross. Sarahs talking about her weekend. I dont know when it happened that it became impossible to talk to Sarah, but today is evident of that fact. Im listening to her - or, at the very least, Im giving her the signals of listening to her, the nodding and smiling and agreeing - but I cant focus. The background seems effervescent and inviting; a mirage of colour and opportunity. Sarah is none of these things.

Im not wearing the glasses right now, I had them on during the walk down the café but then chickened out when approaching the door. But now it seems appropriate. I keep thinking that maybe if I put them on, Ill be able to focus. The background will look clearer and as it is really is - the collage of some inner-city art student whos a few years off intermediate, and Sarah will suddenly beam at me. My whole being will open up to her. Ill listen, be charming and articulate, Ill stun her with delectably witty anecdotes involving people too cool for her inner circle. Good idea, I think.

“Sorry, I just need to put my glasses on…” I put my fork down and pull out the specs. Ray Bans. Wide and eminent. Frames. Sarah gawps at me, mid sentence, her brows furrowed in confusion.

“You dont wear glasses….” she comments, in a frankly suspicious tone.

“…I only generally wear them at home. But fuck it.”

She continues gawping at me. Jealousies such an ugly trait.

“So anyway…” I continue stabbing my salad. Homicidal woman found guilty of butchering pleasureless food. “…I was out with Stephen Franco the other night. You remember him dont you, recorded an album in LA and then caught herpes off an American Apparel model hed shagged whilst he was over there and came back and gave it to Tracey Flemming after shed written that review about his brothers band in the paper? Well, anyway, he was just the funniest…” I start snorting through my nose in lieu of actual laughter, and I think of the details of the story Im about to tell and realise that it isnt funny at all. He did 5 lines of coke, threw up in a coat and then ate a stale biscuit he found in his bag. “-actually, no, never mind. It wasnt…” I clear my throat, Sarahs playing with her phone, she looks blurry. “-isnt funny. At all.”

“You dont need glasses do you?”

I take them off. My eyes hurt. Terribly.

“No. I dont”

“Why wear them?”

I think about the question. I cant tell her about Lyndsey Bergman. She wouldnt be impressed. She wouldnt particularly care. I decide to just wing it.

“well” I begin “They make me feel a bit drunk without the calories.” she gawps at me again. “bit drunk without the calories, and …” I have nothing. Am garbage. Am failure. Sarahs phone goes off. She opens it and reads the message, quickly. She looks back up and nods at me with a patronising, polite smile.

“Ready?” She asks, packing her phone and her cigarettes into bag.

“Yeah…” I respond, dutifully, wishing Id ate more of my 10 quid salad rather than torturing it.

“Im off to go meet Lyndsey.”

My blood runs cold. Cold with spite. Cold with posession. Now she was pinching my friends.

“Lyndsey?” I enquire, stuffing a desperate lump of halloumi into my mouth.

“Yeah, you know - Lyndsey Bergman? Had that thing with…”

I know who she is…” I blurt out, as a verbal belch, rolling my eyes about.

“ Shes got new glasses, so Im gonna go check them out on her. Good to see you…”

She dashes off.

Bollocks.

No comments: